Highlights of Upper Mustang Trek
- A journey within photogenic country around beautiful Upper Mustang
- One of best areas and paradise for photographers within its scenic landscapes
- Adventure into remote corners of Nepal Far North-West magnificent Himalaya
- Explore time forgotten villages of great interest enriched with Buddhism culture
- Sweeping and panoramic flight to and from beautiful Pokhara city
- Trip Mode: Hotel while in cities with local Lodge on treks
- Trek Grade: Moderate to Adventurous walks.
- Highest elevation gain: At Lo-Manthang 3,810 m and Nyi La pass 3,950 m high.
- Daily walks: Minimum of 4 hrs to maximum 6 hrs.
- Trek duration: 11 Nights and 12 Days (with both ways flight and drives)
- Total Trip: 17 Nights and 18 Days (Kathmandu-Kathmandu).
Upper Mustang Trek Overview
Upper Mustang Trek around Nepal Far North-Western Himalaya, which is an extension of vast Tibetan South West plateau considered as the world most significant and highest. Upper Mustang Trek before three decades was closed to outside visitors and flung, its door open to observe its scenic and photogenic country enriched with age-old culture and heritage of Buddhism and the ancient practice of Bon sect.
Bon sect a pre-Buddhism worshiping nature and mountains as well as rivers and, the departed soul of a family member, which makes this trip on Upper Mustang Adventure enjoyable to visit and experience the wild country. Upper Mustang adventure starts with a swift flight from the scenic and beautiful Pokhara city a famous touristic spot with the natural beauty of mountains and lakes.
On reaching Jomsom the headquarter town of Mustang district and the hub of Thakali people, the tribe of Kaligandaki River valley been on trade with Tibet that extends beyond Upper Mustang on old Trans Himalaya Salt Trade Route. A journey of great liveliness as the walk starts from Jomsom to reach into Upper Mustang territory within towering eroded cliffs and canyon of dramatic colors that change along with sunlight.
The walk leads on a wide-open country exploring impressive villages adorned with Buddhism religion monuments crossing few high passes with dramatic views of landscapes and snow-capped mountains. Slowly trail enters into the former walled kingdom of Lo-Manthang within its impressive village/ town of narrow paved alley and old fort (dzong) building visiting its interesting places with ancient monasteries and palace of late king / Raja of Mustang.
After a marvelous time head back to Jomsom taking high route to remote areas of Upper Mustang around Yara with old interesting Luri Gompa (monastery) to reach at Muktinath a holy spot of Hindu and Buddhist religions. Finally, our great journey completes reaching at Jomsom for the scenic flight back to beautiful Pokhara after a fantastic experience and time on Upper Mustang Adventure.
Main Best Seasons for Upper Mustang Adventure
From April to mid-November months includes the rainy wet monsoon season as Upper Mustang falls within Rain Shadow Area, where heavy rain clouds blocked by high Himalayan Mountain range, like the climate of Tibet dry and arid but beautiful to visit.
April to May and September to mid-November best times, when the country is dry with clear blue sky and for dramatic views of snow-capped peaks and landscapes, where’s October and, mid-November will be the coldest time especially morning and night time as well in the shade.
Upper Mustang Trek Short Outline Itinerary
- Day 01: Arrival day in Kathmandu via various airlines and transfer to hotel.
- Day 02: In Kathmandu options for sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
- Day 03: Drive or fly to Pokhara of 6 hrs journey and 30 mins via air.
- Day 04: Morning fly to Jomsom 2,715 m walk to Kagbeni 2,830 m – 04 hrs.
- Day 05: Drive to Chusang 2,820 m start walk to Samar 3,290 m – 05 hrs.
- Day 06: Trek to Ghiling 3,570 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 07: Trek to Ghami 3,520 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 08: Trek to Lo-Manthang 3,810 m – 05 hrs.
- Day 09: At Lo-Manthang for local excursion and explore the village-town.
- Day 10: Trek to Yara 3,650 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 11: At Yara explore around Luri Gompa.
- Day 12: Trek to Tangbe 3,240 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 13: Trek to Tetang 3,040 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 14: Trek to Muktinath 3,800 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 15: Trek or drive to Jomsom 2,715 m – 02 hrs ride or 4 hrs walks.
- Day 16: Fly from Jomsom to Pokhara and transfer to hotel by the lake Phewa.
- Day 17: Drive / Fly back to Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
- Day 18: International Departure homeward bound or respective countries.