Highlights of Upper Dolpo Trekking
- Experience wild and fresh destination around Nepal Far West Himalaya
- An adventure within the remote and isolated country within Upper Dolpo
- Around the state of elusive Snow Leopard and herds of Blue Sheep
- Explore Dolpo villages of great interest of age-old Buddhist and Bon culture
- Enjoy amazing experience around Shey Gompa the hidden Crystal Monastery
- Trip Mode: Hotel with local Lodge and camping on treks
- Trek Grade: Moderate to Adventurous walks.
- Highest elevation gain: Over Kang-la 5, 350 m high
- Daily walk: Minimum of -04 hrs to the maximum -07 hrs.
- Trek duration: 21 Nights and 22 Days (with flight both ways)
- Total Trip: 25 Nights and 26 Days (Kathmandu-Kathmandu).
Upper Dolpo Trekking Overview
Upper Dolpo trekking and adventure take you far into a remote and isolated country, where elusive Snow Leopard, Herds, Thar found along the treks within the wild country of Upper Dolpo areas. Upper Dolpo Trekking a fantastic journey for people with interest for walks into the complete wilderness of mountains and amazing dry and arid landscapes facing outmost scenery of valleys and snow-capped peaks in the harmony of native Dolpo people, interwoven with age-old culture of Buddhist and ancient Bon-Po practice of pre-Buddhism.
Upper Dolpo Trekking located within Nepal largest Shey Phoksumdo National Park enriched with exotic flora-fauna and birdlife. The area around Dolpo highly presented and exposed in the famous classic novel of American author Peter Mattessian called ‘Snow Leopard’ published in the mid-1980s.
The area was made famous by movie Caravan later called Himalaya, a film joint venture of French and Nepalese a story of Dolpo people and its traditional life nominated for Oscar as the best foreign movie.
Upper Dolpo a fascinating country to visit, where the adventure leads you around best parts of Dolpo within Inner and Upper Dolpo visiting emerald Phoksumdo lake. Then heading higher crossing scenic Kang-la pass to reach our leading destination at Shey Gompa ‘The Crystal Monastery’ close to its beautiful Crystal Mountain.
After an unusual and most fascinating moment heading into lower and inner Dolpo with great wonderful times around Upper Dolpo within Shey Gompa,
then walks leads towards delightful villages of Saldang and over the scenic pass to reach a marvelous country around Tokyo village, and then at Tarakot a town of the historical background of Malla within the medial period.
Finally, our overall adventure completes reaching at Jhupal for the flight back to Kathmandu after a remarkable experience and adventure on Upper Dolpo Trekking.
Best Seasons for Upper Dolpo Trekking
April to May springtime will be the best time when wild-flowers especially the rhododendron (Nepal national flower) in full bloom, which the walk more attractive with beautiful, bright morning till afternoon, with some chances of rains sometimes.
September, October to early November another best months around Autumn/Fall and beginning of wintertime, when most of the days are unobstructed views and walks but can be much colder and freezing as altitude gains with chances of snowfall sometimes.
Can join in for Upper Dolpo trekking in monsoon wet months from mid-June to mid-September, where Dolpo region falls within rain-shadow, heavy rain clouds blocked by a high Himalayan range of mountains. Monsoon time will be much greener with lush vegetation in wet seasons, so the choice as per your holidays for Nepal and Upper Dolpo Trekking.
Upper Dolpo Trekking Short Outline Itinerary
- Day 01: Arrival day in Kathmandu via various airlines and transfer to hotel.
- Day 02: In Kathmandu sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
- Day 03: Fly to Nepalgunj 150m 55 mins flight and transfer to hotel.
- Day 04: Morning flight to Jhupal 2,475 m and trek to Dunai 2,140 m – 04 hrs.
- Day 05: Trek to Chepka 2,838 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 06: Trek to Samdua village 2,960m -06 hrs.
- Day 07: Trek to Phoksundo Lake 3,630 m – 06 hours.
- Day 08: Rest day at Phoksundo Lake for local excursion.
- Day 09: Trek to Phoksundo-Khola 3,750 m- 05 hrs.
- Day 10: Trek to Phoksundo Bhanjyang 4,717 m – 04 hrs.
- Day 11: Cross Kang -La 5,350 m and trek to Shey Gompa 4,160 m via -06 hrs.
- Day 12: Rest day at Shey Gompa the crystal monastery.
- Day 13: Trek to Namgung 4,608 m via Sela (Gela) La 5,094m.
- Day 14: Trek to Saldang 3,770 m – 05 hours.
- Day 15: Trek to Chagaon 4,910 m – 05 hrs.
- Day 16: Trek to Dachu Khola camp at 4,700 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 17: Cross over Jyanta-La at 5,220 m walk to Phedi 4,900 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 18: Trek to Tokyu Gaon 4,200 m via Jyang-la 5,090 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 19: Trek to Dho-Tarap 3, 944 m- 05 hrs.
- Day 20: Trek to Ghyamgar 3,759 m – 07 hrs.
- Day 21: Trek to Tarap Khola 3,652 via Chhyugar 3,440 m – 06 hours.
- Day 22: Trek to Tarakot 2,540 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 23: Trek to Dunai – 05 hrs then drive to Jhupal – 02 hr jeep ride.
- Day 24: Morning flight to Kathmandu via Nepalgunj and transfer to hotels.
- Day 25: In Kathmandu free as contingency day for individual activities.
- Day 26: International Departure homeward bound or respective countries.