Highlights of Makalu Base Camp Trekking
- Exciting walks around Arun and Barun valleys with amazing mountain scenery
- Adventure leads you in the heart of world 5th high Mt. Makalu with grand views
- Explore undisturbed areas of high Makalu base camp and its pristine surroundings
- Fantastic flight to and from Kathmandu-Tumlingtar with views of mountains
- Trek beyond human settlement and villages towards complete wilderness
- Trip Mode: Hotel with local Lodge and camping on treks
- Trek Grade: Adventurous to Demanding walks.
- Highest elevation gain: At Makalu Base Camp 4,812 m / 15,879 ft high.
- Daily walks: Minimum of 3-4 hrs to maximum 5-6 hrs.
- Trek duration: 16 Nights and 17 Days (with drive and flight both ways)
- Total Trip: 19 Nights and 20 Days (Kathmandu-Kathmandu).
Makalu Base Camp Trekking Overview
Makalu Base Camp Trekking is an incredible adventure around Nepal Far Eastern of massive Khumbukarna Himalaya range that leads you right in the heart of world’s fifth-highest Mt. Makalu at base camp above 4,812 m high. Makalu Base Camp Trekking leads you to a great experience in the complete wilderness of mountains within the northern zone of remorseless fields of ice and glaciers after walking past low, warm country of Arun valley.
The adventure begins with a scenic, and exciting flight from Kathmandu with an impressive panorama of mountains includes Everest and Makalu with Kanchenjunga towards Far East horizon. From Tumlingtar, a charming farm village and town located on the shelf of Arun River, where is an adventurous drive on four-wheels takes you at Num a hill village where our walk starts heading further north-bound.
Walk with down and ups past many spread-out farm villages to reach the last town of Tashi-Gaon inhabited by Sherpa of Makalu region enriched with Buddhism religion and colorful culture. Makalu base camp trekking continues leaving the human settlement and villages entering into high hills and scenic ridge as walk leads into the dense alpine forest of tall rhododendron-junipers-oaks-magnolia-pines and fir tree lines to the top at Kongma Danda (for the high peak in Nepalese).
Kongma Danda offers excellent views of Makalu-Baruntse and Kanchenjunga peaks as walk leads past frozen lakes to reach scenic Barun Valley enclosed by high rocky cliff and snow-capped mountains. Barun valley a beautiful area, where rare herbs and vegetation that nearly lost on this planet found in this wild surrounding this exotic valley, from here finally our adventure leads to the end of the valley at Makalu base camp.
Enjoy time at base camp beneath a towering black rocky pyramid of Mt. Makalu listed as worlds 5th highest at 8,463 m and 27,766 ft high rise above adjoining peaks Baruntse and Chamlang includes views of Lhotse with rare Khansung side
of Everest East Face, after a marvelous experience within the base camp and high valley of Makalu region return walk back to Tumlingtar.
From Tumlingtar, where is our adventure completes taking a swift scenic flight back to Kathmandu after a most mesmerizing time and experience on Makalu Base Camp Trekking?
Best Seasons for Makalu Base Camp Trekking
March to May springtime will be the best time when wild-flowers especially the rhododendron (Nepal national flower) in full bloom, which the walk more appealing with beautiful, bright morning till afternoon, with some chances of rains sometimes.
September, October to mid-November another best months around Autumn/Fall and beginning of wintertime, when most of the days are outstanding views of the landscape and walks but can be much colder and freezing as altitude gains with chances of snow sometimes.
Monsoon months from mid-June to mid-September wet rainy seasons were less number of trekkers venture, but much greener hills with lush vegetation in wet seasons, so the choice as per your holidays for Nepal and Makalu Base Camp Trekking.
Makalu Base Camp Trekking Short Outline Itinerary
- Day 01: Arrival day in Kathmandu via various airlines and transfer to hotel.
- Day 02: In Kathmandu sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
- Day 03: Fly to Tumlingtar 480 m and drive to Num village 1,480 m with 45 mins air flight and 4 hrs drives for overnight stop.
- Day 04: Trek to Seduwa 1,493 m – 05 hrs.
- Day 05: Trek to Tashi-Gaon 2,100 m – 04 hrs.
- Day 06: Trek to Kohma Danda 3,500 m /11,482 ft- 06 hrs.
- Day 07: Trek to Mumbuk 3,400 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 08: Trek to Nehe Kharka 3,750 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 09: Trek to Sherson 4,410 m – 05 hrs.
- Day 10: Trek to Makalu Base Camp 4,870 m/ 15,978 ft – 04 hrs.
- Day 11: At Makalu Base Camp to explore around.
- Day 12: Trek to Yangre Kharka 3,645 m – 07 hrs.
- Day 13: Trek to Mumbuk 3,400 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 14: Trek to Kohma Danda 3,500 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 15: Trek to Tashi-Gaon 2,100 m – 05 hrs.
- Day 16: Trek to Seduwa – 04 hrs.
- Day 17: Trek to Num – 05 hrs.
- Day 18: Drive back to Tumlingtar – 04 hrs.
- Day 19: Fly back to Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
- Day 20: International Departure homeward bound or respective countries.