Highlights of Lower Dolpo Trekking
- Enjoy beautiful landscapes and mountain views around Lower Dolpo areas
- Explore interesting culture of ancient Bon practice with Buddhism religions
- Walk to pristine turquoise colored Lake of Phoksumdo within scenic country
- Adventure around Nepal Far-West Himalaya on less ventured areas by trekkers
- Trip Mode: Hotel with local Lodge and camping on treks
- Trek Grade: Moderate to Adventurous walks.
- Highest elevation gain: Over Baga-la 5,070 m and Numa-la 5,190 m high
- Daily walks: Minimum of -04 hrs to maximum -07 hrs.
- Trek duration: 14 Nights and 15 Days (with flight both ways)
- Total Trip: 18 Nights and 19 Days (Kathmandu-Kathmandu).
Lower Dolpo Trekking Overview
Lower Dolpo Trekking, where is the adventure leads you around Nepal far west in the country of Tibetan Buddhism with ancient Bon-pa sect of pre-Buddhist, an exciting country to visit and explore for once in your lifetime experience. Lower Dolpo Trekking truly fascinates travelers with its unique dramatic landscapes of green to barren hills along with snow-capped peaks as far towards Dhaulagiri range.
The main good reason for Lower Dolpo Trekking is that you will be walking in tranquil surroundings away from the main flow of trekkers that you have known of other busy areas of Annapurna and Everest. As this country located within remote corners of Far Western Himalaya where few adventurer and trekkers seldom venture around beautiful Dolpo regions, where you will encounter timeless villages of great interest adorned with ancient culture and custom of both Buddhism and Bon sect practice.
Starts with scenic and super flight from Kathmandu to reach low warm Far West Southern Terai at Nepalgunj, a city within the sub-tropical region and close to India border, the trip continues next early morning to land at inner Dolpo where the adventure begins on Lower Dolpo Trekking.
As walk progress heading past many farm villages and around Dunai the headquarter town of Dolpo area, an exciting place to explore and catch various cultures of Nepal Far Western people of both Hindu and Buddhist religions. The adventure then leads through farm villages around mid-hills populated by Hindu Thakuri Malla and Chettries. The walk continues to reach higher and remote areas within Buddhism and Bon community of Ringmo and around beautiful Phoksumdo Lake.
With the time, here to enjoy the scenic surroundings and isolated villages then heading crossing high passes of Baga-la and Numa-la to reach around lovely and picturesque Dho-Tarap valley within delightful large communities of Tokyu-Gaon. Here you can enjoy times soaking with local immense culture and custom of old heritage traditional life.
Slowly walk comes to an end walking into a scenic valley to reach historical Tarakot villages and then back at Jhupal for a scenic flight to Kathmandu via Nepalgunj after a great marvelous adventure and experience on Lower Dolpo Trekking.
Best Seasons for Lower Dolpo Trekking
April to May springtime will be the best time when wild-flowers especially the rhododendron (Nepal national flower) in full bloom, which the walk more attractive with beautiful, bright morning till afternoon, with some chances of rains sometimes.
September, October to mid-November another best months around Autumn/Fall and beginning of wintertime, when most of the days are clear to views and walks but can be much colder and freezing as altitude gains with chances of snow sometimes.
Monsoon months from mid-June to mid-September a wet rainy seasons trekking can do as Dolpo region falls within rain-shadow area with fewer chances of rain around July to mid-September.
Monsoon time will be much greener with lush vegetation in wet seasons, so the choice as per your holidays for Nepal and Lower Dolpo Trekking.
Lower Dolpo Trekking Short Outline Itinerary
- Day 01: Arrival day in Kathmandu via various airlines and transfer to hotel.
- Day 02: In Kathmandu sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
- Day 03: Fly to Nepalgunj 150m 55 minutes flight and transfer to hotel.
- Day 04: Morning flight to Jhupal 2,475 m and trek to Dunai 2,140 m – 04 hrs.
- Day 05: Trek to Chepka 2,838 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 06: Trek to Samdua village 2,960m -06 hrs.
- Day 07: Trek to Phoksundo Lake 3,630 m – 06 hours.
- Day 08: Rest day at Phoksundo Lake for local excursion.
- Day 09: Trek and cross Baga-La 5,070m and camp 4,470 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 10: Cross Numa-la 5,190 m and camp at Phedi – 07 hrs.
- Day 11: Trek to Tokyu Gaon 4,200 m via Jyang-la 5,090 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 12: Trek to Dho-Tarap 3, 944 m- 05 hrs.
- Day 13: Trek to Ghyamgar 3,759 m – 07 hrs.
- Day 14: Trek to Tarap Khola 3,652 via Chhyugar 3,440 m – 06 hours.
- Day 15: Trek to Tarakot 2,540 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 16: Trek to Dunai – 05 hrs then drive to Jhupal – 02 hr jeep ride.
- Day 17: Morning flight to Kathmandu via Nepalgunj and transfer to hotels.
- Day 18: In Kathmandu free as contingency day for individual activities.
- Day 19: International Departure homeward bound or respective countries.