Highlights of Kanchenjunga Circuit Trek
- A great adventure to Nepal Far North Eastern Himalaya range
- Journey at the end of Nepal Himalaya towards far Mt. Kanchenjunga
- Marvelous journey around remote and isolated mid hills farm villages
- Enjoy the walk of a lifetime visiting both South and North base camps
- Walk into beautiful alpine woodland to arctic zone of ice and glaciers
- Trip Mode: Hotel with local Lodge and camping on treks
- Trek Grade: Adventurous to Demanding walks.
- Highest elevation gain: 5,065 m at Pangpema, Kanchenjunga North Base Camp.
- Daily walks: Minimum of 04 hrs to maximum 7- 8 hrs.
- Trek duration: 20 Nights and 21 Days (with drives and flight both ways)
- Total Trip: 23 Nights and 24 Days (Kathmandu-Kathmandu).
Kanchenjunga Circuit Trek Overview
Kanchenjunga circuit trek, probably one of the stunning adventures that lead to enjoying the visit of both south and north base camps in one single trekking package. Kanchenjunga trekking takes you in the heart of the world’s third-highest mountains that rise above 8,586 m / 28, 169 ft first climbed by British Expeditions in May 25th 1955 taking the southern base camp route.
This world’s 3rd highest peak also straddles the border between Nepal and Sikkim (a small state of North East India), where most of trekking and mountaineering adventure is from Nepalese sides of Kanchenjunga. Kanchenjunga circuit trek begins with a spectacular flight from Kathmandu with a panorama of mountain views with Everest-Makalu and Kanchenjunga range as plane head towards Nepal Far South Eastern Terai, the flat land of the country within sub-tropical temperatures.
The Eastern part of Terai belt, where the journey is leading to cooler mid-hill to enter, Ilam town famous for its vast field of Tea-Gardens and its products, where walk leads from Taplejung town at Sukhetar towards the far northeast direction to reach around Kanchenjunga massive mountains.
It is walking into lovely farm villages and the beautiful cool shade of alpine treelines then reaching first to visit near Kanchenjunga South base camp at Tseram and hike to Oktang towards Yarlung glaciers of Kanchenjunga South Face. From here the walk continues higher crossing Tsele-la pass with mind-blowing scenery of mountains and landscapes to reach other sides of Kanchenjunga towards its Northern base camp at Pangpema.
On our visit South Kanchenjunga heading towards our last leading destination, where the route leads back to dense forest and at beautiful areas and the village of Gunsa with time here to catch local culture of Buddhism religion mostly inhabited by Sherpa and Bhotia people of Tibetan origin.
From Gunsa heading due North East to reach much acclaimed at, North Kanchenjunga Base Camp is also known as Pangpema, where walk leads past Khambachen and Lhonak the last village to arrive at Kanchenjunga base camp.
Enjoy immense views of massive Kanchenjunga and surrounding peaks with Mt. Jannu and Kabru Himal where hike leads you right in the heart of Mt. Kanchenjunga North Base Camp and its viewpoint hills.
Our return journey on an alternative and main route to reach back at Sukhetar past many impressive farm villages with ups and more down following Tamur Kosi River all the way at main Taplejung town and at Sukhetar.
From Sukhetar end of our walks where a drive leads you through Ilam town and its tea-garden back at low Terai country for scenic and super flight to Kathmandu, after a memorable experience and memorable adventure on Around Kanchenjunga Trekking.
Best Seasons for Kanchenjunga Circuit Trek
March to May springtime will be the best time when wild-flowers especially the rhododendron (Nepal national flower) in full bloom, which the walk more attractive with beautiful, bright morning till afternoon, with some chances of rains sometimes.
September, October to mid-November another best month around Autumn/Fall and beginning of wintertime, when most of the days are explicit for the views and walks but can be much colder and freezing as altitude gains with chances of snow sometimes.
Monsoon months from mid-June to mid-September a wet rainy season were less number of trekkers venture, but much greener hills with lush vegetation in wet seasons, so the choice as per your holidays for Nepal and for Around Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek.
Kanchenjunga Circuit Trek Short Outline Itinerary
- Day 01: Arrival day in Kathmandu via various airlines and transfer to hotel.
- Day 02: In Kathmandu sightseeing tour and trek preparation.
- Day 03: Fly to Bhadrapur 300 m and drive to Ilam town 1,365 m – 04 hrs.
- Day 04: Drive to Sukhetar 1,490 m start trek to Lalikharka 1,900 m-06 hrs.
- Day 05: Trek from Kande Bhanjyang 2,100m -07 hrs.
- Day 06: Trek to Phompe Danda 1,850m -06 hrs.
- Day 07: Trek to Yangphudin 2,150m at Sherpa Gaon – 07 hrs.
- Day 08: Trek to Dorongding 2,880 m via Lashe Tham, 3,800m Pass -07 hrs.
- Day 09: Trek to Tseram 3,770m – 05 hrs.
- Day 10: At Tseram, hike to Oktang near Kanchenjunga South Base Camp.
- Day 11: Cross Tselele pass 4,250m camp at Tselele bottom 3,700m – 08 hrs.
- Day 12: Trek to Ghunsa, 3,480 m – 07 hrs.
- Day 13: Trek to Khambachen 4,000m -06hrs.
- Day 14: Trek to Lhonak 4,780m – 06 hrs.
- Day 15: Hike to Pang-Pema around Kanchenjunga North Base Camp 5,065m.
- Day 16: Trek to Ghunsa, 3,480 m – 08 hrs.
- Day 17: Trek to Gyapla Phedi 2,300m – 07 hrs.
- Day 18: Trek to Sekathum / Japantar 1,350m – 07 hrs.
- Day 19: Trek to Chirwa 1,250 m – 06 hrs.
- Day 20: Trek to Phurumbu School 1,500 m -07hrs.
- Day 21: Trek to Suketar 2,440 m -04 hrs.
- Day 22: Drive back to Ilam town or beyond – 05 hrs.
- Day 23: Drive to Bhadrapur airport and fly to Kathmandu transfer to hotel.
- Day 24: International Departure homeward bound or respective countries.